Friday, June 5, 2015

Letter from Kirstin Beck

Dear Photo Scraps Customers,

First off, I want to say thank you for always being supportive of me and my endeavors. I am forever grateful for your backing. 

This summer, I have an awesome opportunity to serve as a full-time intern at Crossroads Community church.  I am working with our young adult and CARE/Missions ministry. Throughout the summer, we are also going on missions trips to Nicaragua and the East Coast (a lake house for disadvantaged youth in the D.C. area). I’ve only been on staff for 2 weeks and already am seeing God working in miraculous ways.

One aspect of my internship is working under Tori Kaskel to help run our young adult ministry at Crossroads called 712. Before this internship, Tori and I went for coffee and during that meeting God gave us a vision to unify the young adults in Carroll County and help revive our community. She also challenged me to pray about becoming a leader for my college Christian ministry. But at this point, we had no means to go about doing any of this and I had no experience in young adult ministry in order to become a leader at my campus ministry. Then, the opportunity for this internship happened. 

My first week, we sent out letters to all the churches in our area (187) asking to partner with them to unify the young adults. My second week, we had over 100 young adults at our weekly service (almost double the amount of people than previous weeks). This is just a small glimpse into everything God is doing through this ministry and I am so excited to be a part of it.

Another aspect of my internship is working with CARE/Missions ministry at Crossroads. Here, I am working under Tim Adams and Nancy Howard. They have over 20 years of experience in helping the poor. Basically, whenever someone comes in with a need, they develop steps and encouragement to get them through their circumstance. This has been an awesome opportunity for HOPE Project, my nonprofit. It is helping me learn how to navigate people through poverty without hurting or enabling them. This week, I got to help encourage someone who’s currently in prison and needed encouragement. I and 20+ people at 712 wrote her cards to uplift her spirit.

In addition, I am going on a missions trip to Nicaragua. Crossroads is partnered with a local nonprofit started by Tim Adams called NicaWorks. They help end poverty in Nicaragua by providing opportunities for economic, social, education, and spiritual growth. During the trip, I will get to visit orphanages and do service projects. I’m excited to explore another area of the world and see and be a part of  what God is already doing in Nicaragua.  

I am writing you this letter to invite you to play a part in my dreams, what God is doing in my life, what God is doing through Crossroads, and what God is already doing in Nicaragua.  Above everything, if you could keep me, Crossroads staff, and the people in Nicaragua in your prayers, I would really appreciate it. Beyond your prayers, if you would like to financially support me, I would be thankful. I need to raise $2,000 by the end of July (to cover the cost of the internship and the missions’ trips we are going on). While this is a short amount of time, I am trusting and believing God will provide. Financial support is tax-deductible. Please make checks payable to Crossroads Church and in the memo line please write “Kirstin Beck.” You can turn in contributions at the counter at Photo Scraps. Again, thank you for reading this letter and supporting me! I cannot wait to see what God does this summer!

Love,
Kirstin Beck

No comments: